Back to home

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mangle & Swipe

Synopsis
The names of Mangle and Swipe have been changed. But even with the new names they might not work in macro's. Here's the solution.


In addition of Karthis' post "Mangle - Skill name changes" I think it is important for people to be aware that his post was not fully complete (at least for Macro's and not RPB). I posted it as comment nr 6 there, but people might miss it. Therefore this post.

I use macro's to not cast Maul and make it easy to keep a cycle up, not having to spam buttons. Something Kalon brought to my attention in the first place.

This is the macro I used:

#showtooltip Mangle - Bear
/cast !Maul
/cast Mangle - Bear


This didn't work anymore. The reason being that the name has been changed to "Mangle (Bear)".
Still replacing "Mangle - Bear" by "Mangle (Bear)" did not work. To make it work you should be using the following:

#showtooltip Mangle (Bear)()
/cast !Maul
/cast Mangle (Bear)()


Same goes for Swipe, since that name has also been changed.

#showtooltip Swipe (Bear)()
/cast !Maul
/cast Swipe (Bear)()


This is probably a bug, something to be fixed by Blizzard later. I don't know if "Mangle (Bear)()" will stop working, though if I had to program it I would make it possible for both to be used so macro's with "()" will not stop working all of a sudden.

PS. This might very well be true for the cat versions too, but I am not using macro's for those. If you are keep this post in mind.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah... all those brackets because of skills that have levels and words in brackets before them... Blizzard should really do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true for Cat as well. Cat mangle macros now need to be written as using Mangle (Cat)(). Not sure about Cat Swipe as I don't have that in any macros, but it's probably true as well. Next time I log in though I plan on trying the following macro and seeing if it works, just in case Blizzard opts to revert back to the "Mangle - Bear" style.

    #showtooltip
    /cast !Maul
    /cast Mangle (Bear)()
    /cast Mangle - Bear

    If it works the way I think it will, it will try to cast the "(Bear)()" version first and if that succeeds should go off without any problems. If they change back at some point, it should try to cast "(Bear)()" and when it fails, try "- Bear" instead which should then work. Unless they add something new entirely... hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faerie Fire was like Faerie Fire (Feral) for a long time. I don't think they will revert to "- Bear". The fix I suggested was that Mangle (Bear) without the () will start working too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is how they worked in Burning Crusade, the extra brackets were required back then too. They changed the names in 3.0.2, but seem to have changed them back again in 3.1 for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I myself was resto in BC and never made Feral Macro's before. Though I knew they had () instead of the -.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its really easy to make a macro and not have to type the name of the talent, also it will always work if you just open your spell book while you are making the macro and shift click the spell for the macro. Just an fyi.

    ReplyDelete